Monday, August 3, 2009

She Earned her Laces!

This move has been a really big change for our family. Madison has really struggled to adjust to all the changes. We were used to a very big social life and lots of kids to play with. The area we live in is pretty much devoid of children. Maddie really started acting out and struggling to control frustration. She was throwing so many tantrums that I couldn't count them all.
In an effort to keep my sanity I came up with this chart (it was a spiritual inspiration). It has sections for each part of the day and tells Maddie just what she should be doing everyday. When she completes a section without tears or tantrums she earns apples. When she has reached a certain amount of apples she gets a special treat. It is a miracle worker. We went from countless meltdowns to no meltdowns. In the last couple of weeks she has given in to a tantrum only once or twice. Can I just say how grateful I am to the this brainchild!
She earned her first prize-animal lace-ups! Way to go Madison!

3 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara that chart is so neat! AND I'm glad you were able to come up with something that helps Maddie through this transitionary period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to do something like this for months. I think I mentioned it once to you. How cute yours turned out. I might have to call you up sometime and ask you the details on how you run it.

    ReplyDelete